April 26, 2012 | by Andrew Kameka
Here’s something you don’t see every day: a U.S. television provider recognizes that its paying customers would like to be able to access video on their mobile devices, and that company steps in to provide it. And as an added bonus, it’s available to Android users first.
DirecTV has updated its official Android application to support on-demand streaming to phones. The latest version allows users to view movies and original programming from HBO, Cinemax, Encore, Showtime, Starz and other popular destinations. The app works only in the United States and not all devices are supported, but as Engadget points out, this is one of the rare times when a media app is available on Android phones before it goes to iPhone. (And yes, the app supports some Android tablets.)
There’s no live streaming of DirecTV channels yet, but users can see plenty of their favorite shows at their convenience. The DirecTV Android app also supports browsing television listings by channel or broadcast time, and helps fans discover new content by seeing what’s trending. Once a user finds what he or she wants, the app can remotely set recordings through the DVR. It also sets parental controls from the device and includes account management tools.
DirecTV is available for download now in Google Play Device and version compatibility will vary. Most Android 2.2 or later devices shold be able to run it. Here’s a list of requirements for other features according to DirecTV.
- Compatible with most Android phones running 2.2 or later.
- DIRECTV customers must have a residential home account registered on the DIRECTV website to watch On Demand content and access recording functionality.
- Watching On Demand content requires an active Wi-Fi or 3G/4G Internet connection. For best performance, connect to a strong Wi-Fi signal.
- Available content is based on your current programming package and premium service. Not all content is available to stream at this time.
- Scheduling a recording requires a Wi-Fi, Edge or 3G/4G Internet connection and a DIRECTV Plus® DVR (models R15, R16, R22), DIRECTV Plus® HD DVR (models HR20, HR21, HR22, HR23, HR24) or TiVo® Series 2 receivers with 6.4a software. Receivers do not require phone or Internet connection to schedule a recording.
- In rare instances, scheduled recording(s) may not be recognized.
- On Demand scheduling requires a DIRECTV Plus® HD DVR (model HR20 or later or R22) connected to the Internet.