October 18, 2011 | by Andrew Kameka
Motorola Mobility will resurrect its Razr brand with an Android twist next month. The incredibly popular name and phone provided to previous releases will be combined with the new direction of the company under the name of the Motorola RAZR. With an eventual rollout planned for every region in the world, the RAZR will go on sale beginning in November ($299 on Verizon Wireless. Pre-orders start Oct. 27th).
Durability is a major theme of the Motrola RAZR. The phone has a 4.3-inch Super AMOLED display with Corning Gorilla Glass, the powerful glass type that has saved many phones from extinction due to dropping. The back also Kevlar fiber to prevent damage, and “every part of Motorola RAZR is protected by a splash-guard coating” that should make this phone even tougher to ruin. Folks who don’t like skins or cases on your phone may get some much-needed backup.
As for the internals, the phone packs a 1.2 GHz dual-core processor, 4G LTE on Verizon, 1 GB of RAM, and Android 2.3.5 with Motorola customizations. The rear camera records 1080p HD video through an 8 megapixel camera, and the front facing camera supports “HD” video as well, though I’m a little suspicious about how loosely Moto extends that tag on a front-facing camera.
The growing suite of enterprise and device management software is also present, as is the Motorola MotoCast streaming. The Lapdock 100 is supported for supporting a laptop mode similar to the Atrix, and other docks will be sold separately for connecting to television and audio systems. Expect to hear a lot about this phone fairly quickly.
click image to expand
- Powered by Android™ 2.3.5, Gingerbread
- 1GB RAM for a fast user interface and multi-tasking
- 8-megapixel rear camera with 1080p HD video capture and image stabilization technology for crisp and clear videos
- Front-facing HD camera for video chat over 4G LTE, 3G or Wi-Fi
- 4G LTE Mobile Hotspot capable so customers can share 4G LTE speed with up to eight Wi-Fi enabled devices
- Water repellent nanocoating protects the phone, and even the inside components, against everyday spills
- Remote wipe, pin lock and government-grade encryption for email, calendar and contacts as well as voice and video chat conferencing
- Use Quickoffice® to view, create and edit Microsoft® Word, Excel and PowerPoint documents on your mobile device from anywhere at anytime
- Bluetooth 4.0 low energy
- 32 GB memory: 16 GB on board and 16 GB microSD™ card pre-installed (actual formatted capacity is less)
- Powerful 1780 mAh battery