March 21, 2011 | by Andrew Kameka
The Google Nexus S 4G is coming to Sprint. Samsung Mobile just announced that a version of the Nexus S, originally available through T-Mobile USA, is coming to Sprint with 4G WiMax speeds supported and “unprecedented controls and services enabled by Google Voice integration built into the Sprint Network.”
The Nexus S 4G is mostly similar to the Nexus S that T-Mobile users have grown to love and hate. The most recent Google Android phone has Android 2.3, a 1 GHz processor, a front-facing camera for video chat, 4-inch SuperAMOLED screen with a Contour display, and near-field communication support built into the phone.
The major difference between these two versions of the Nexus S 4G, aside from WiMax support, is that the Sprint version has Google Voice deeply-integrated into the phone. Sprint customers can make their current phone number their default Google Voice number without having to port to Google and cancel their service. You may remember how excited I was to port my number to Google Voice once I leave Sprint, but in light of T-Mobile falling and this development, I can now get all of the great features of Google Voice without having to terminate my current contract (if I want to).
The Nexus S 4G will be available to Sprint for $199.99 this spring. A $79.99 monthly calling and data plan will be required to purchase the phone on-contract. Here are a few more specs on the device.
- 3G/4G Mobile Hotspot capability, supporting up to six Wi-Fi enabled devices simultaneously
- Android Market™ for access to more than 150,000 applications, widgets and games available for download to customize the experience
- Google mobile services such as Google Search™, Gmail™, Google Maps™ with Navigation, syncing with Google Calendar™, Voice Actions and YouTube™
- Corporate email (Microsoft Exchange ActiveSync®), personal (POP & IMAP) email and instant messaging
- Near Field Communication (NFC) technology, which allows the device to read information from everyday objects, like stickers and posters embedded with NFC chips
- 16GB Internal Memory (ROM)/512MB (RAM)
- Wi-Fi® – 802.11 b/g/n
- Bluetooth® 2.1 + EDR
- Integrated GPS
- 1500 mAh Lithium-ion battery
- Dimensions: 4.88 inches x 2.48 inches x 0.44 inches (124 mm x 63 mm x 11.2 mm) (LxWxT)
- Weight: 4.62 ounces (131 grams)