January 31, 2011 | by Andrew Kameka
Facebook debuted its new Deals feature in a recent update of its Android app, but we quickly discovered that deals were available only to U.S. residents. Facebook sent us word earlier today that users in the United Kingdom, France, Germany, Italy, and Spain can now claim discounts and special offers on products the next time they check-in to a location.
Deals is Facebook’s new venture that provides discounts, rewards, and special offers when someone checks-in to a restaurant or event. Someone can tap Facebook Places to announce that they are attending a concert and then have the option to purchase artist merchandise at a lower rate or download an exclusive song. Deals are also displayed for nearby businesses – coffee shops, hotels, boutiques – participating in Facebook’s program.
Android users in select European nations can access Deals by launching the Facebook app, tapping Places, tapping Check In, and pressing a location. Once checked in, nearby deals will appear when available. Here is a list of companies participating in the launch.
- Alton Towers Resort: On Friday 18 February, the Alton Towers Theme Park will open a day earlier than planned for the Half Term holiday, offering exclusive use for anyone who checks in on that day only. Tag up to 3 friends for free entry and the first 100 people to check in will also receive a free one night stay in one of the themed Resort Hotels.
- Argos: From Monday 31 January, Argos will donate £1 to its national charity partner Teenage Cancer Trust for the first 10,000 customers that check-in at an Argos store this week.
- Benetton: Benetton has chosen a Charity Deal to support Architecture for Humanity, an association which applies design and architecture to social projects. From 31 January 2011 and throughout February, Benetton will donate two pounds/two Euros for each Smartphone check-in in one of the 3000 Benetton stores involved in the scheme in the UK, France, Italy, Germany and Spain.¹
- Debenhams: On 14th February, Debenhams and Benefit are giving away over 1,000 free mascaras and makeovers for the first 10 check ins at each Benefit counter at Debenhams stores across the UK.
- Mazda: From 31 January to 7 March 2011, Mazda will be offering the chance to win 1 of 5 Mazda MX-5 Miyako’s for the summer! Mazda is also offering the exclusive opportunity to buy an MX-5 with 20% discount.²
- O2: From Monday 31 January, O2 is offering 10% off all accessories, including gaming kit in all stores. On Saturday 5 February, the first four customers will receive a free xbox 360 in 26 stores and the first two customers will receive a free Playstation3 in 18 stores when bought with any new or upgrade mobile consumer contract only.³
- Starbucks: From 9.30am on Monday 31 January, the first 30,000 customers who check in to participating stores will receive a free tall filter coffee. Customers can also get a free piece of cake with the purchase of two drinks at participating stores on any Saturday throughout February.
- YO! Sushi: From Monday 31 January, YO! Sushi is giving away 2000 meals to the value of £60,000. The first 1000 diners to check in at any of their 47 participating restaurants, tag their friend and show a member of staff their phone screen with the confirmation message receive complimentary food and drink.?
- Usher/O2 Arena: Check in at the O2 Arena to get 20% off Usher’s album and a free remix of Hey Daddy (Daddy’s Home) from the official merchandise stand on the London dates of his OMG Tour this week.