December 15, 2010 | by Andrew Kameka
An update for the HTC EVO 4G is being readied for Sprint customers that will improve performance and add new bloat, I mean, software. Inside the update is an EVO-friendly version of the Blockbuster movie streaming app, Amazon Kindle eReader app, and the try-before-you-buy version of Gameloft NOVA.
Also included in the update are newer versions of Sprint apps like Navigator, Visual Voicemail, Sprint TV, and an official version for Swype. This finally gives EVO users a chance to use the gesture-based text-entry method without resorting to pirated software or waiting for beta invites.
The new update also makes changes to the boot image, connection to 4G, and an updated radio. The file is available for download now but do not use it if you are on a rooted phone. A rooted version of the update typically appears within the first 48 hours of release, so just be patient.
Those of you not on root who want this now, follow these steps:
This file does not work for all versions. If you’re willing to wait until the update comes officially, it might be best to do just that and not bother installing.
- Download the update and save it as update.zip (Rapidshare mirror in the source link below)
- Copy update.zip to the root of your SD card (not within any folders)
- Make sure that your phone is at least 75% charged and then turn it off
- Reboot into recovery mode (Turn the phone off, then hold the Volume Down+Power button simultaneously)
- Press the volume down button to go to Recovery and select it by pressing the power button
- A triangle with an exclamation point will appear
- Press the volume button and select “apply sdcard:update.zip”
The update will then load. Do not trouble the phone while updating or you might damage your phone.