Android News

Froyo Gains 10% in Latest Android OS Distribution

December 2, 2010 | by Michael Heller

Android News

December Android OS Distribution

New stats on the supposed “fragmentation” of Android have been released. As of December 1st, Android 1.5 and 1.6 combine to make up just under 17% of the platform distribution, leaving the other 83% for 2.1 and 2.2, with Froyo leading all versions at 43.4%. Froyo has seem the bulk of the growth, jumping up 10% since October.

In all likelihood, this will be the last distribution chart before the release of Android 2.3, Gingerbread, which will once again stoke the calls of fragmentation on the Android platform. Granted, I may be biased because I’m a Nexus One owner, but I really don’t see fragmentation as much of an issue. As a mobile developer wrote recently, there is just as much of a fragmentation problem on iOS. Fragmentation is just a negative way to describe how all computing platforms operate. Internet Explorer 9 only works on Windows 7, which only makes up about 10% of the Windows market share, but there’s no cry of fragmentation there. iOS Game Center only works on version 4.1, which accounts for less than half of the iOS market.

Computer platforms move fast, especially so in the mobile space, and newer OS versions will leave behind older hardware. That’s the way things work.

[Android Developer]