September 15, 2010 | by Andrew Kameka
Fancy the T-Mobile G2 but still love Sense? No problem. Hop on a plane and move to Europe because then you can get the HTC Desire Z, a new phone announced today by HTC. The Desire Z shares the physical look of its American cousin, namely the QWERTY keyboard exposed by a unique hinge mechanism. It also has an 800 MHz processor and programmable quick keys, much like the stock G2.
Of course, the aluminum-body Desire Z greatly differs on the software side as it runs the new version of HTC Sense, which also supports HTCSense.com. As you can tell from Lars’ post about the new site, there will be plenty of reasons to enjoy (or hate depending on who you are) this new version of HTC’s service.
The Desire Z features Android 2.2 (Froyo), 1.5 GB internal storage, 512 MB RAM, and a 3.7-inch SLCD touch screen. The device features a 5 megapixel camera with auto-focus, flash, and 720p recording. As for media, it supports several playback formats, including Windows Media 9, and DLNA for sharing pictures, video, or music with a PC or TV.
HTC will begin offering the phone next month in select markets. Price and carrier will vary by country, but Vodafone has been named as an exclusive partner in Spain and Australia. Full list of specs via Modaco are below.
- 800 MHz Processor
- Android 2.2 (Froyo) with HTC Sense
- Internal phone storage: 1.5 GB
- RAM: 512 MB
- 119 x 60.4 x 14.16 mm (4.69 x 2.38 x 0.56 inches)
- 180 grams (6.35 ounces) with battery
- 3.7-inch SLCD touch screen with 480 x 800 resolution
- HSPA/WCDMA: • Europe/Asia: 900/2100 MHz • Upload speed of up to 5.76 Mbps and download speed of up to 14.4 Mbps
- Quad-band GSM/GPRS/EDGE: 850/900/1800/1900 MHz
- Optical Trackpad
- Z-slider QWERTY keyboard
- Internal GPS antenna
- Digital compass
- Proximity sensor
- Ambient light sensor
- Bluetooth® 2.1 with FTP/OPP for file transfer, A2DP for wireless stereo headsets, and PBAP for phonebook access from the car kit
- IEEE 802.11b/g/n WiFi
- 3.5 mm stereo audio jack Standard micro-USB (5-pin micro-USB 2.0)
- 5.0 megapixel color camera with auto focus and flashlight
- 720p HD video recording
- Audio supported formats – Playback: .aac, .amr, .ogg, .m4a, .mid, .mp3, .wav, .wma (Windows Media Audio 9) • Recording: .amr
- Video supported formats – Playback: .3gp, .3g2, .mp4, .wmv (Windows Media Video 9) • Recording: .3gp
- 1300 mAh Battery
- Talk time: • Up to 400 minutes for WCDMA • Up to 590 minutes for GSM
- Standby time: • Up to 430 hours for WCDMA • Up to 430 hours for GSM
- microSD expansion (SD 2.0 compatible)
- 100 ~ 240 V AC, 50/60 Hz DC output: 5 V and 1 A AC adaptor
- Share pictures, video or music to your big screen TV or PC display via DLNA® (Digital Living Network Alliance)