August 16, 2010 | by Andrew Kameka
The loss of the NFL Mobile app to Verizon disappointed Sprint’s customers who enjoyed being able to watch video content and live streaming of some games from the NFL Network. Sprint has attempted to rebound by announcing Sprint Football Live, a revamped version of the app that will retain and enhance NFL Mobile’s game-tracking features.
You won’t get live NFL games, but you will get live video of NCAA football games through ESPN Mobile TV and Notre Dame home games broadcast on NBC Sports Mobile. Football Live will also offer Game Center, which offers live stats, play-by-play movements, and scoring summaries for games.
Make no mistake about it; the loss of live video makes Football Live a non-starter for a lot of people. But in the absence of a TV, plenty of folks will still enjoy being able to keep track of what happens from endzone to endzone. Interested users can also benefit from the following features lifted from the announcement (some items abbreviated):
- Sprint Football Live video blogs from Detroit DT Ndamukong Suh titled “The Life of a Rookie,” and analysts Cris Collinsworth and Charley Casserly.
- My Team – users can customize the app to their favorite pro and college teams so those teams’ information appears first each time a user opens the app.
- Scores and Schedules – for all 32 pro teams and all 120 major college teams.
- News & Analysis – breaking news from the Associated Press, ProFootballTalk.com, and CollegeFootballTalk.com, and analysis from Yahoo Sports, Rivals.com and SB Nation.
- Fantasy – live video of fantasy TV show on ESPN and insight from Yahoo!, CBS Sports.com, KFFL, and Real Time Fantasy Sports
- Manage your team with trades and line-up changes on ESPN.com, Yahoo.com, CBSSports.com and FoxSports.com.
- Odds – know the spread and over/under for the football games each week.
- Alerts – customizable for specific team when they score, enter the red zone or updates at quarter, half and end of game. Also can get scoring updates for individual players helpful for fantasy player tracking.
Get more information on the application and a download link from Sprint.com/Football