July 30, 2010 | by Andrew Kameka
McAfee, Inc., known for desktop security software for home and enterprise users, has acquired tenCube, the company behind the development of popular Android app WaveSecure.
WaveSecure has previously been featured on Androinica for its usefulness in managing misplaced or stolen Android phones. The application can track a phone, discover its location, lock down to secure information, or wipe data to prevent theft. McAfee has purchased tenCube as a means to integrate that technology into its own software. Once the acquisition is complete next month, McAfee plans to expand language support beyond WaveSecure’s current limitations of English, Chinese, and Indonesian.
The acquisition announcement is mute on what will happen to current WaveSecure license holders. More information may be released once the acquisition is complete, but the app should continue working for now. Here’s what McAfee plans to do once the acquisition is complete:
- Further establish itself as the leader in mobile security with the most complete set of mobile technologies—McAfee now has the technology needed for users and their families to locate, lock, encrypt, protect against malware, wipe, filter, manage, back-up, restore and access their data online
- Leverage its expertise at the endpoint and in the cloud to broaden its existing mobile security portfolio beyond anti-malware, data protection, Web security and family protection
- Expand the addressable device market with best-in-market mobile device platform support, including a wide range of mobile operating systems including Android, Blackberry, Symbian, Windows Mobile, iPhone and Java powered feature phones
- Combine the skills and resources of both companies to develop and deliver scalable solutions through global partnerships with mobile service providers and mobile device manufacturers
- Expand the breadth of its device management solutions available for enterprise IT administrators to implement policies, assist users and enforce compliance for mobile applications across the enterprise