June 28, 2010 | by Andrew Kameka
T-Mobile and Samsung haven’t done that great of a job keep details of the Samsung Vibrant under wraps, but the US carrier and Korean phone maker have officially announced the device today. Samsung has revealed that the Vibrant will cost $199 with a two-year agreement and will begin taking pre-orders through Radio Shack beginning July 1.
The Vibrant is T-Mobile’s version of the Samsung Galaxy S, which has so far been confirmed for AT&T and Sprint as well. Similar to those devices, the Vibrant comes with Android 2.1, a 4-inch Super AMOLED touchscreen, a 1GHz Hummingbird processor, and has a six-axis sensor designed to enhance gaming.
Some things unique to the Vibrant include access T-Mobile’s HSPA+ network, a free copy of Avatar stored on the 2GB microSD card, and a number of pre-loaded applications. Via T-Mobile’s announcements, here are some applications that come with the Vibrant.
- Amazon Kindle for Android application provides direct access to more than 600,000 books, including a vast majority of The New York Times Best Sellers and New Releases. Before consumers purchase a book, they can read the first chapter for free. They also can read reviews and recommendations from Amazon.com and its customers. With Kindle for Android, customers can sync their reading with their other Kindle devices so they never lose their place or are without their reading.
- MobiTV mobile phone application offers consumers access to live and on-demand TV available in English and Spanish — including more than 35 channels of news, sports and entertainment. Favorite channels such as Bravo, Disney Channel, ESPN, NBC and more are available for Samsung Vibrant consumers to watch at home or away. Plus, when Vibrant consumers subscribe to MobiTV, their first 30 days of service are free.3
- Slacker Radio mobile application comes pre-loaded on the Samsung Vibrant, allowing anyone to listen to free personalized radio. Slacker offers more than 120 genre stations and the ability to create your own. With millions of songs from thousands of artists, Slacker is the best way to discover new artists and hear your favorite music.
- Gogo® Inflight Internet service offers a bonus to consumers who purchase the Samsung Vibrant: up to a month of free in-flight Wi-Fi access on their device, with Internet access on more than 3,000 daily flights and growing every day in the continental U.S.4
- Samsung Media Hub, expected to be available in the near future, is a full library of video and literary content powered by some of the biggest names in entertainment.
- Swype gesture-keyboard pre-loaded
- Records 720p videos
- Supports up to 32 GB of external memory
- Dark blue or lavender back cover
- Android 2.1
- 5 MP camera with digital zoom and autofocus
- The Sims 3