June 17, 2010 | by Andrew Kameka
Samsung’s busy week of announcements got busier as AT&T have confirmed that it will carry the Samsung Captivate, a “Galaxy S smartphone.”
The Captivate is AT&T’s fourth promised Android device, but it looks to be the first with some specs to keep pace with other phones being released on rival carriers. For one, the Captivate includes a six-axis sensor designed to improve game functionality when applicable. The phone also has a 4-inch Super AMOLED touchscreen, Android 2.1, and a 1 GHz Hummingbird processor, which Samsung claims will be the premiere device for graphics processing.
As we’ve come to expect with Android phones, it also includes the manufacturer’s own take on social networking aggregation called the Social Hub. That is where users will find a one-stop destination for e-mail, instant messages, Facebook/Twitter updates, text messages, and more. Carrying-out the integration theme will be a consolidated inbox and a Google Calendar/social networking calendar mash-up.
AT&T still hasn’t warmed up to Android as much as other carriers, but the Captivate is a start. You can bet based on recent history that it will probably be prevented from installing apps outside of the Android Market, meaning you won’t be able to gain access to some of the great apps that are released in beta. Other than that, not bad, AT&T.
Pricing and availability will be announced at a later date.
More specs via AT&T
- Super AMOLED 4” touchscreen display – improved off-axis viewing and better outdoor visibility
- Six-axis motion sensor, 3D graphics engine, and surround-sound audio
- 5 MP camera with HD video recording (720p)
- 16 GB on-board memory for photos, videos, and music – expandable memory up to 32 GB
- Samsung’s All Share application, which enables inter-device connectivity through DLNA (Digital Living Network Alliance)
- Wi-Fi (802.11 b/g/n), GPS, and Bluetooth® 3.0 technology
- Tri-band 3G connectivity and quad-band GSM technology, which allows AT&T customers to make calls in more than 220 countries