February 14, 2010 | by Andrew Kameka
UPDATE: Since this post was first published, Samsung has officially confirmed the phone as the Beam, not the codenamed “Halo” phone.
Samsung didn’t exactly set the world ablaze with the Galaxy or Moment, but the Korean manufacturer has a beast on its hand with the i8520. How does this sound for a new phone?
The Beam has a 3.7-inch WVGA Super AMOLED screen, 8 megapixel camera with flash and autofocus, 720/30fps video encoding, DivX/Xvid playback, Bluetooth 2.1, 16GB of internal storage and microSD expansion, stereo speakers, DLNA support, DLP pico projector, WiFi, and A-GPS. All of this stuffed into Android 2.1.
Catch your breath because this has a new version of the TouchWiz interface layered on top of Android 2.1. The Behold II was universally panned for TouchWiz but let’s hope the new look and function doesn’t miss the mark so much. If anything, who cares? You can still turn off the TouchWiz in settings and take advantage of what will be the most amazing Android phone – at least in terms of specs – that we’ve seen. And that long-winded rundown of specs earlier in this article isn’t even a complete list!
The Beam will be sold in Europe and Asia in Q3. Expect more information to merge on the phone in the coming days.
- Network HSDPA 7.2Mbps/HSUPA 5.76Mbps UMTS (900/1900/2100),
- EDGE / GPRS (850/900/1800/1900)
- Display 3.7” WVGA Super AMOLED
- Camera 8MP AF w/ Flash (Front : VGA)
- Video H.264, H.263, MPEG4, Divx/Xvid, VC-1, 720p@30fps(de/encoding)
- Audio MP3, OGG, AAC, AAC+, eAAC+, AMR-NB, AMR-WB, WMA, WAV, MID, AC3
- FM Radio with RDS, 3.5mm Ear jack, 3D Sound Effect(Dual Speaker)
- Value-added Features A-GPS, Wi-Fi(b/g/n), Specialized Projector UI, Hybrid Widgets, IM, Email,
- DLNA, Samsung Kies, Push Service(SNS, IM, Email)
- Connectivity Bluetooth v2.1 / USB 2.0 High Speed
- Memory Internal memory: at least 2GB (4Gb ROM / 3Gb RAM + 16GB MoviNAND)
- External memory: MicroSD (up to 32GB)
- Size 123 x 59.8 x 14.9 mm / TBD g
- Battery Life 1800 mAh
- (Talk time: up to 470 mins (On 3G mode)/ up to 850 mins (On 2G mode))
- (Stand-by time: up to 530 hrs (On 3G mode) / up to 630 hrs (On 2G mode))