August 11, 2009 | by Andrew Kameka
The Motorola Sholes is shaping up to be quite the device. AndroidAndMe has done some great investigative work on the Sholes and discovered a few possible features that everyone may be interested in reading about. This information has not been confirmed by Motorola, but the website is credible and has spoken with reliable sources. Here are a few speculative highlights from what they’ve discovered.
Sholes will ship with Eclair
Sholes will come with Eclair, the branch of Android expected to follow Donut. While Donut has mistakenly been referred to as Android 2.0 several times, that is not the case. Eclair will be the first major upgrade of Android that warrants an officially sanctioned 2.0 label. There’s no definitive word on what new features will appear in Eclair.
Sholes will be on Verizon and AT&T, maybe T-Mobile
Verizon has been the rumored US carrier from the moment we discovered the Sholes. AT&T is also expected to have a version of the phone on its network, and possibly T-Mobile. Personally, I doubt T-Mobile will be a factor because they’ve thrown so much at the myTouch and are rumored to be offering other devices this year. Their plate seems at the moment.
Touchscreen only version a possibility
Sholes has been seen only as a device with a slide-out keyboard. Though it is slim, Sholes could get even slimmer with an all-touchscreen version. That version is also rumored to come with an 8 megapixel camera.
The Sholes will come with the following specs, according to AndroidAndMe
- OMAP3430 – 600 MHz ARM Cortex A8 + PowerVR SGX 530 GPU + 430MHz C64x+ DSP + ISP (Image Signal Processor)
- Dimensions 60.00 x 115.80 x 13.70 mm
- Weight 169 g
- Battery Li-ion 1400 mAh.
- Standby 450 hours, talk time 420 minutes
- 3.7-inch touch-sensitive display with a resolution of 854×480 pixels, 16 million color depth. Physical screen size is 45.72 mm by 81.34 mm.
- 512MB/256MB ROM/RAM
- microSD / microSDHC expansion slot
- Camera: 5.0 megapixel with autofocus and video recorder
- Connectivity: USB2.0, 3.5mm audio jack, Bluetooth 2.0 + EDR, Wi-Fi
- Supported audio formats: AMR-NB/WB, MP3, PCM / WAV, AAC, AAC +, eAAC +, WMA
- Supported video formats: MPEG-4, H.263, H.264, WMV
- GPS navigation
- Package Contents: Phone Motorola Sholes, battery, charger, USB cable, 8GB MicroSD memory card and other literature.