March 9, 2009 | by Robert Nelson
The latest beta release of TouchDown has added Microsoft Exchange ActiveSync push email support for the G1. While the push support is currently limited to the latest beta release, it is also expected to be available in the next stable release, which means current (non-beta) users should hopefully see the upgraded features soon.
As far as what features that you can expect, TouchDown will allow the user to;
- Compose and send Email
- Reply to, Reply All and Forward your email
- Delete Email messages
- Move email between folders (yes, email folders are supported)
- Add, Delete or Edit existing contacts when you are on the move.
- The changes to your contacts will be automatically updated to your Exchange account.
- View your daily/weekly/monthly calendar
- Create appointments
- Appointment notifications
- Customizable alerts
- Database on SD Card – saves phone memory
TouchDown will work with Microsoft Exchange Server 2003/2007 as well as “most online Exchange hosting providers.” Additionally, TouchDown will also allow you to remotely wipe the device should it fall into the hands of someone that should not have it. In other words, you can cover your (self) just in case you lose your G1.
In the meantime, TouchDown is currently available for download from the Android Market and is selling for $29.99.